Friday, June 15, 2007

Braids, braids, braids!


Posted by Picasa

These are a wide assortment of kumihimo braids made with my handy dandy Kumihimo Disk, from Hamanaka (the rest is in Japanese). The disk came from www.satincord.com.
What isn't obvious: they are all the same design structure, "Kongo", which means "hard as a diamond". So far, I haven't been able to see the diamond thing but I'll keep trying.
The Kongo braid is made by the same two moves, up and down, around and around, turning the disk between each move. But vary the colors, color placement, thickness of the fibers or cords, and you have an almost endless variety of different patterns. There is even a flower braid, (look at the two middle braids).
What you see are braids made with satin and rayon cord, embroidery floss, and silk. The silk comes from www.braidershand.com and is the traditional fiber of Japanese braiding.
Hopefully, next time, I'll get a good photo of my maru dai (Japanese braiding stool) which is the traditional braiding equipment. I'm still working on that photo editing thing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan, Thanks for all the nice plugs about our site! I'm enjoying looking at all your work. We always like seeing what people have made with things they have bought for us. Let me know if you would like me to put a few of your pictures in our gallery page (we give free cord for each picture we post). Thanks! Robin

Unknown said...

Hi Susan, I love you braids. Any way you would share the pattern for the 3 colored striped or spiral braid, the one at the top of the picture? Lovely work,Dawn